05 October 2007

Pavlik Harness

As you all know, Taylor was a very breech baby, and was very wedged in my pelvis. As a result, she was born with a dislocated hip, as you can believe with the way her leg looked. So, yesterday we took her to the orthopedic to have it checked out. The results we left with, were to put her in a Pavlik Harness. The doctor there said she wanted to do it as a precautionary, because we met 3 of the 4 risk factors...1-female, 2-first born, 3-breech (the 4th was family history), and because of the recommendation from the pediatrician at the hospital. She will be in the harness for at least 2 weeks and then we will do an ultrasound to determine more. As of right now, she couldn't tell how dislocated Taylor's hip might be.


Eric and I did our research before we went to the orthopedic and read about the harness. I have to admit, when I first saw it I was very upset. I was worried for Taylor that it might be uncomfortable and difficult to hold her, etc. Eric and I read more about it and found that the success rate of the Pavlik Harness is 90-95 %, and if we start now, it is that much better. So once we were at the orthopedic I was prepared for the harness and was reassured by the doctor that the harness was in no means painful to Taylor and that she might actually like it. We seem to think she does...she looks very comfortable and kind of cute in it.:) It is not as difficult as we thought it would be to hold her and move her around. We have found some new tricks and are dealing just fine.



Doesn't she look so cute and comfortable?

We will know more in 2 weeks about how long she may or may not have to wear the harness. Until then...we just wait!

5 comments:

Lacey said...

I think her braces are cute! Maybe I'm use to it with my cousin Gage. I can't wait to come see her...next week sometime.

The Birds said...

What a brave little girl! She looks darling with or without braces!

Jessie said...

Hey, I wore head-gear and nothing is worse than that! (I've got pictures if you need me to prove it.) She is adorable. So, does the harness hold her hip into place while it heals? Maybe I should do my research, too. You guys are such a cute little family!!

The Peterson's said...

It does look cute and if it helps then thats all you need! She is still your little Taylor!

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Poor Taylor - I am sorry you guys, that is tough, however, she doesn't seem to mind it, and with that success rate - hopefully she won't have to stay in it too long and she'll be better in no time. She is just so cute, I love those big turquoise eyes. What a doll!