
A couple months ago, Eric's sister, Lori, told us about The Grocery Game she does. As she told us what is was all about, she was very excited and you could tell it was really like a hobby to her. Well, we thought it was interesting, but never checked it out. Well, just recently Eric thought he would log on and see what is was all about. We knew we had to start saving our Sunday coupons so we have done that for 3 weeks. Then Eric signed up for the "game" and started doing his research. Little did he know how excited he was going to be about it. Let's just say if Eric can save any money, he will no matter what. After doing his research we figured out how the system works, and it is just like a game. Every Sunday, you save your coupons (you don't need to clip them until it is time). What this lady does on her website is posts a list every Sunday that she has done all the research for (matching coupons to the store sales=a bigger save) ! She tells you what coupons to clip and what store is having a sale, so you can save double sometimes. She will also tell you what items you can get free by having a coupon, plus the store sale. Eric decided to do a little experiment (let me add it is 9:30, on Saturday night). He looked at the list, clipped the coupons we needed and made a list of things to go buy at Smiths. We had just a few things, some cereal deals, marinades and boxed pasta. Not much because it was our first time. So yes, we set out to the store at about 10:00 to try it out. After making our purchases, we checked the receipt and realized we had just saved $12. We thought that was pretty neat, not to mention we got a free milk because we bought 3 cereals (at a $1 a piece with coupon/and sale). Already, I could see the excitement in Eric. He had just saved $$$!-and got something free! I think he was convinced at that moment. So, we tried it again at Albertsons. We bought water, hot dogs, lots of hair products for me, and some odds and ends...here we ended up saving $32! Almost half of what the purchase would have been. Eric was loving it. We bought some things we don't need right now, but that is part of the "game", stock up on things and build up your food, also getting what you need. All-in-all, we are now Grocery Gamers. Thanks Lori! This is like a hobby for Eric! It is really quite fun to see how much we can save, and to us, it is not time consuming. You do your research on a Sunday and get ready for your shopping days during the week. Very fun! We are working on getting stocked up on coupons, which in turn makes the game even better. We can't wait to find out how much more we can save!
(Beth, I really think you would like this-this is right up your alley of planning out a months worth of meals...you could have so much stocked up so you could have more variety:)!
If you decided you would like to try this, please let me know and I will give you erics email address, we get free weeks for anyone who signs up!!!



2 comments:
I am so going to do this! Thanks a bunch! I started being very thrifty since I've been a stay at home mom. The more money I save on essentials, the more money I get to spend on things I want! Thanks for the tip! I will keep you posted on my savings!
I sort of do this. I didn't join the Grocery Game because I didn't want to fork out the $$. But I do clip coupons and buy the item when it is on sale. It is amazing what you can save. I saved $55 once. One little hint...go shopping on double coupon days. They don't double every coupon, but they will double most of them. You can find out what day it is at customer service but it is usually Tuesdays. Happy shopping.
Post a Comment