One thing on my mind the most about the twins arrival is breastfeeding. Already, the cost of 2 babies is a lot, and formula would only make it SO much more. But I am so torn on weather or not I should breastfeed the babes. My experiences with Taylor and Ryan were both very different. Taylor was great. Everything was going well, never had big problems, but only nursed her to about 4-5 months because I just don't produce enough milk.
Ryan was different. Started off great, but again, just wasn't producing enough milk, so I was pumping ALL the time and breastfeeding. And it wasn't helping. Plus, I got mastitis twice and it really was a struggle to make it to 8 weeks with him. If I produced enough milk, I would have toughed it out, but that was one of the biggest problems.
So, here I am trying to decide what to do. I know breastfeeding is great for babies and not to mention it doesn't cost anything, like formula would. But it stresses me out thinking about trying to breastfeed 2 babies and take care of Taylor and Ryan. If I can't breastfeed them both at one time, then it will have to be one at a time and that will take up so much time of me, and I worry about Ryan and Taylor. They do SO well together and play very good independently.
Then there is the milk. I know I just don't produce enough, but maybe there is a chance I will with the twins. But what if I don't, do I pump again? Then I will need a nice pump to even remotely get the job done and then it is back to double the work. Pumping and feeding all while trying to do everything else. I don't want to give up on the idea, Eric really wants me to try, but I just don't know.
Bottle feeding would be so much easier. Eric, and even Taylor, could help. And the middle of the night feedings will run so much smoother if I can bottle feed them at once. Or eric can take one. I have been reading some blogs, which doesn't help, and watching this show on TLC called Making Room for Multiples, and the majority of moms with multiples seem to bottle feed. Especially when there are other kids involved. I know this is not the case for all moms.
For me I just don't know what do to.
On a lighter note...my kids. Did you miss them?
25 March 2011
Twins and Breastfeeding
and jack and tay...best of friends. Got this pic from Brit...love the pose my girl is making:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
One of my cousins says her best trick is eating a big frozen yogurt for dinner..she says it helps her to produce extra milk.
interesting cate...never heard that. And I like it...:)
Jonna, you want my opinion - if you can afford the formula do it! It will make your life so much easier. I breastfed both my babies for a year, so I am a fan of breastfeeding, but seriously you are going to be so exhausted and like you said with formula you can have Eric and Taylor help. Plus, the stuff they make formula with these days is great. My friend just had her 3rd baby and she breastfed the first two times, and never did it with this one, and this one has been so much easier. Her and her hubbies take turns getting up in the night, she didn't have to deal with her mastitis, time saver, etc. She has loved every minute of not breastfeeding and she was feeling really guilty beforehand. Good luck!
ps - obviously I meant 'hubby' - as far as I know, she only has one! ;)
Oh my goodness that picture of you with the kids. Taylor looks a lot like you! Cairo has the same Pj's as Ryan. The monkey ones. You have such a cute family!
I say go for it. I am all for breastfeeding, but if you only make it a month or a couple days, it doesn't matter. At least they got some of the "good stuff," and formula feeds them just as well. Then, you know that you tried and don't beat yourself up! Taking care of two is hard, no need to feel guilty on top of it. (also Fenugreek helped me when my milk went down. You have to take it all the time, but it helped)
I know I would have a hard time w/ this too since I have a milk problem as well. I have been pumping like crazy just trying to keep Heidi getting some and it is painful and annoying. I am proud I have made it as long as I have, but w/ the next one, it just won't be possible. I think if I were you, I would go ahead and try it to start...you never know, maybe you will produce more this time and it would save tons of $. PLUS, remember how I told you that you might make enough for 1 this time and you could feed your favorite? Of course I was kidding about that, but you could switch off so that each one gets breastmilk some of the time and that would cut the cost in half. If it gets to be too much and too stressful, which it very well might with two and two toddlers, then at least you know you tried. What kind of pump do you have now? I have the nice Medela one and I still get next to nothing.
HI Jonna, I had those exact same feelings/worries. I pumped for 3 weeks and I finally stopped. I wasn't making enough milk for even one baby and the schedule was so hard. Pump 20-25 minutes, clean up pumping materials, feed babies, change diapers, get them to sleep and pump again. The lactation specialist said in order to produce enough milk for twins, I would need to pump 12 times a day. I tried really hard. I honestly didn't take one nap the first 3 weeks. I was so worn out. I am happy to say that I am guilt free about my decision to use formula. 12 pumpings a day times 20 minutes. That is 2 hr 40 minutes I can use for an occasional nap or other mommy duties. They got 3 weeks of the good stuff! They are both doing fine with formula. You are going to be stretched so thin, you'll know what you need to do when the time comes! Twins are so much fun!
Also, I rented a really nice hospital pump for $15 a week since I wasn't sure how long I would need one.
I also have low milk supply. Can't believe I've made it past 6 months this time. I do give her a bottle of formula at night when my milk is low. You don't have to decide what your going to do now. Just do what's best for you because either way the babies will be fine!
that's a tough one.. you could just see how breastfeeding goes and then decide from there. What do I know..your a great mom you will figure it out ;)
My VT comp had twins (children #3,4) and she says to have no guilt over the formula route. She says go for it. She also didn't do everything together ( diapers, feeding, etc ) and now says she should have- would've been easier. Don't worry bout the $$$- the milk elves will help...
You look great in the pic!!! Cant even tell there are five of you in the picture. ;-)
Jonna you can do this! I wish I had my breastfeeding book but I lent it to Mair! But I read that there is a herbal supplament (I've read lots about it just can't think of the name) that is suppose to increase your milk supply. I am not one to believe in the herbal hupla but I hear it works? I read it in The Nursing Mothers Companion. You could prob look it up. Also I hear that cantalope is wonderful to help increase your milk supply! Also If you want a good pump my mom bought me a brand new on on ebay (a medella) for way cheap and it has been wonderful! I guess just try and if all else fails know that it's not your fault and that you did everything you could and don't feel guilty one bit! it was soooo good to see you the other day! miss you!
Post a Comment